Check here for the latest in swine flu news
RSS icon Email icon Home icon
  • Latest figures show 112 people have died of flu in the UK since September according to the Government.

    Posted on January 13th, 2011 admin No comments

    Of the deaths recorded, 95 have died of swine flu and another five had flu type B. A further 12 deaths have yet to have their flu type confirmed.

    The latest figures come a day after Gemma Ameen, the mother of three-year-old victim Lana, urged the Government to reassess its vaccination policy.

    “It’s heartless really. It definitely needs looking at again with another review.

    “Rather than just taking facts and figures, they need to start thinking about people’s lives.It’s not about whether they thought Lana should have been eligible. Obviously she was because she died from it.

    “I think all children should be vaccinated and anyone else who is prepared to pay for it.”

    The Department of Health stuck by its decision insisting children who do not have risk factors are in no need to be vaccinated and added that independent expert advice was “absolutely clear”.

    The advice had been reviewed recently and the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation did not change its recommendation, it added.

    Recent shortage of the swine flu vaccine has raised alarm across the country as central Government tapped into its leftover stocks of last year’s Pandemrix swine flu vaccine for distribution.

    Director of immunisation, Professor David Salisbury, said GPs could now get their hands on Pandemrix:”There really is no reason for anyone to be turned away on the basis that there is no vaccine available or not being sent out.”

    Health trusts and GPs have placed orders for 200,500 doses of which 185,000 have already been dispatched.

    Pharmacy giant Boots revealed its stores had “very limited” stocks of the winter flu jab, admitting there was currently no hope of replenishing its supplies.

  • 15 more Swine Flu deaths reported in Wales

    Posted on January 13th, 2011 admin No comments

    A FURTHER 15 flu-related deaths have been reported to the Assembly Government in the last week.

    It brings the total number of flu deaths in Wales to 27 since October.

    Officials said 49 people were in critical care in hospitals across the country, including 23 people aged 16 to 44; 19 aged 45 to 64; and seven over the age of 65.

    Aneurin Bevan Health Board, which covers Gwent, said it had 12 patients with flu-like symptoms in critical care, the highest of any health board in Wales, while Betsi Cadwaladwr UHB closely followed with 11 patients in a critical condition.

    Abertawe Bro Morgannwg and Cardiff and Vale each have nine patients in critical care; Cwm Taf in the Rhondda has five and Hywel Dda three.

    It comes as figures released by Public Health Wales show a slight increase in the number of people contacting their GP with flu-like symptoms.

    Last week there were 93 GP consultations for every 100,000 people living in Wales, up from 89.2 for the week ending January 2.

    It was a slight increase on the week ending December 26, in which there were 92.1 consultations for every 100,000 people living in Wales.

    The figures revealed the highest level of GP consultations was for people aged between 25 and 34, at a rate of 147 consultations per 100,000.

    But experts believe the true number of people who have died as a result of flu this winter in Wales will be far higher.

    Doctors in Wales this week began using stocks of the 2009 swine flu jab to vaccinate patients. It follows shortages of the seasonal flu vaccine in parts of Wales, including the nation’s largest hospital – the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff.

    Wales’ chief medical officer Dr Tony Jewell defended the decision to stock fewer seasonal flu vaccines for the 2010 flu season.

    He said: “Whilst we have been working to make stocks of the vaccine that was developed against swine flu available to be used where supplies of seasonal flu vaccine have run low, we are now well into the flu season.

    “People in at-risk groups are at a higher risk of complications from seasonal flu, and the best protection is early vaccination.

    “A press and publicity campaign has been running since October and has included television, radio and bus adverts to let people know if they are in an at-risk group, and that the vaccine is available free of charge to those groups from GPs.

    “We have also encouraged health boards and GPs to ensure that their patients and front line NHS staff are vaccinated against seasonal flu.”

    He added: “Despite the slight increase in the clinical consultation rate for influenza this week compared to the previous week, the rate of consultations for flu-like illness in Wales still remains within the levels of normal seasonal flu activity.

    “Most healthy people will recover from flu-like illnesses within five to seven days with plenty of rest and drinking non-alcoholic fluids.”

    A spokesman for Hywel Dda LHB said hospitals throughout the area were operating “at a very high capacity” due to the double-impact of higher levels of suspected seasonal and swine flu cases and increased numbers of general admissions.

    As of yesterday, 13 patients with flu-like symptoms were being treated at Withybush General Hospital in Haverfordwest; five at Bronglais in Aberystwyth; one in Prince Philip Hospital in Llanelli and another at Glangwili General Hospital in Carmarthen.

    Three of the patients were in intensive care.


  • Ten deaths in East Yorkshire swine flu outbreak

    Posted on January 13th, 2011 admin No comments

    The number of people with swine flu who have died in East Yorkshire so far this winter has risen to 10.

    Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust said nine of the 10 people had other underlying health problems.

    One had no previous health issues and swine flu was said to have been a contributory factor in their death.

    Five of those who died were men and five were women. No children were among the dead, the trust added. New national figures are to be released later.

    The latest number of deaths in England, Wales and Scotland this winter from flu verified by the Health Protection Agency (HPA) was 50, with 45 of these due to swine flu. It can take time for deaths reported by local trusts to be verified and added to the national figures.

    Operations cancelledThe East Yorkshire figures are for deaths at Hull Royal Infirmary and Castle Hill Hospital in Cottingham. They do not include hospitals in Goole and Beverley.

    More than 200 people have so far been admitted to the hospitals with suspected swine flu since 1 December, with 84 cases confirmed.

    The outbreak has meant the trust has been forced to cancel some major operations to keep intensive care beds free.

    In December, 168 operations were postponed and up to Tuesday, 50 operations had been postponed in January.

    The trust carries out about 7,100 planned operations each month, which includes major surgery.